• Since its inception, AutoCAD has enjoyed a very wide user base and has been the most widely used CAD software since the 1980s. This popularity is due to its logic and simplicity, which makes it very easy to learn.
• This book addresses all levels of AutoCAD 2D drafting: Essentials, Intermediate, and Advanced AutoCAD techniques. It is not a replacement for the manual(s) that comes with the software, but is considered complementary with its practices and projects, meant to strengthen the knowledge gained and solidify the techniques discussed.
• Solving all practices is essential because AutoCAD is a practical tool and not theoretical.
• At the end of each chapter you will find “Chapter Review Questions.” These are the same sort of questions you might see in an Autodesk exam. The answers to the odd questions are included at the end of each chapter to check your work.
• Chapter 10 contains three projects: One for an architectural plan and the other two for mechanical engineering. (One of these is explained in detail, so you can follow the steps by themselves without any help.) Solving these will allow you to master the knowledge needed to land a job in today’s market. These projects are presented in metric and imperial units.
ABOUT THE BOOK
This book is the most comprehensive book you will find on AutoCAD 2014 – 2D Drafting. It is divided into three major parts. The first, Essentials, covers ten chapters and three projects (one architectural and two mechanical using both imperial and metric units). The second part, Intermediate, contains eight chapters. It contains topics covered in the first section, is more depth, or additional knowledge needed to fill in the gaps left in the first part. The final part of the book, Advanced, contains seven chapters discussing the most advanced features of AutoCAD 2014.
If you don’t have any prior experience using AutoCAD, you can start with any chapter of the book. But if you want to be an advanced AutoCAD user, you should go through all 25 chapters and complete all the projects and practices.
This book can also help you prepare for the AutoCAD Certified Professional exam, given by Autodesk, Inc.
This book’s chapters are divided as follows:
▪ Chapter 1 covers the basics of AutoCAD along with the interface.
▪ Chapter 2 covers AutoCAD techniques for drawing with accuracy.
▪ Chapters 3 & 4 cover the modifying commands used to modify and construct drawings.
▪ Chapter 5 covers layers and inquiry commands.
▪ Chapter 6 covers creating and editing blocks and inserting and editing hatches.
▪ Chapter 7 covers AutoCAD methods for writing text.
▪ Chapter 8 covers how to create and edit dimensions in AutoCAD.
▪ Chapter 9 covers how to plot your drawing.
▪ Chapter 10 includes three projects, one architect and two mechanical covering both metric and imperial units.
▪ Chapter 11 covers more 2D objects creation.
▪ Chapters 12 & 13 cover advanced practices and techniques.
▪ Chapter 14 covers block tools and block editing.
▪ Chapter 15 covers text styles and table styles along with formulas in tables.
▪ Chapter 16 covers dimension styles and multileaders.
▪ Chapter 17 covers plot styles, the meaning of Annotative, and creating DWF files.
▪ Chapter 18 covers how to create a template file and customizing the AutoCAD interface.
▪ Chapter 19 covers parametric constraints.
▪ Chapter 20 covers dynamic blocks.
▪ Chapter 21 covers block attributes.
▪ Chapter 22 covers Xref.
▪ Chapter 23 covers sheets sets.
▪ Chapter 24 covers CAD standards and advanced layer commands.
▪ Chapter 25 covers the drawing review.